Posts tagged rape
Posts tagged rape
Fifteen rape victims have formed martial arts movement and are prepared to confront abusers if no one listens to their complaints…A GROUP of women are fighting back against the sickening culture of rape which they say infects India. Fifteen determined females – all victims themselves – have trained in martial arts and are prepared to hand out rough justice if no one listens to their complaints. And the movement, called the Red Brigade, is growing rapidly following the gang rape and murder of medical student Jyoti Singh Pandey that horrified the world.In a nation where a woman is reportedly raped every 20 minutes, the group’s leader Usha Vishwakarma said: “We are fighting back – and the boot is now on the other foot.” Member Sufia Hashmi, 17, said: “We’ve caught a lot of men recently. I joined because men always used to pass comments on me and touch my body but now we beat them and they run.”Like the other members in the northern city of Lucknow, 25-year-old Usha has first-hand experience of the daily dangers women face in the huge nation – a teacher tried to rape her when she was 18. She said: “He grabbed me and tried to open my trousers. I kicked him in the crotch and ran.” Usha complained to staff but they told her to forget it and allowed her attacker to carry on teaching. She said: “Many parents tell girls to quit school so there will be no sexual violence. But we said no – this has to stop. We decided to form a group to fight for ourselves, not just complain.” MORE
i have no problem with pointing out that anyone of any gender can be an abuser, rapist, pedophile etc because that’s absolutely true.
but the problem with always emphasizing “yes but it happens to everyone, not just women (or people of colour, or trans* people, etc)!” is that it depoliticizes the issue.
violence is not an accident, it is reflective of social power relations that permeate society at every level
The Point of Sex
Professor John Corvino discusses the views of the 13th Century philosopher St. Thomas Aquinas and some of his intellectual heirs today—self-styled “new natural lawyers” like Robert George of Princeton—who provide the intellectual basis for much of contemporary social conservative thought.
What’s the point of sex? Is it really just procreation?
Wait wait wait.
Thomas Aquinas said that masturbation is WORSE than rape?
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK
THAT IS THE POINT AT WHICH EVERYONE EVER SHOULD HAVE STOPPED LISTENING TO HIM AND POSSIBLY SET HIM ON FIRE.
So this just happened on Facebook.
aLL THE FUCKING AWARDS
rape apology SMACK DOWN
Joseph Weinberg & Michael Biernbaum, Conversations of Consent: Sexual Intimacy without Sexual Assault (via cocknbull)
- Making rape jokes. Examples: ‘rape is just a struggle snuggle’ or ‘it’s not rape if you say surprise first’ or ‘if you rape a prostitute, is it rape or shoplifting’ or ANY OTHER RAPE JOKE.
- Calling situations that are nothing like rape rape. Examples: ‘that math test totally raped my ass’ or ‘the IRS really raped me this year’ or ‘i would absolutely rape something to eat right now’.
- Questioning survivors. Examples: ‘are you sure you didn’t just change your mind in the morning?’ or ‘I don’t think it’s rape if he’s your boyfriend’ or ‘are you just saying that so you won’t be called a slut?’
- Talking about rape as a positive. Example: ‘I would love to get raped by a hot girl’ or ‘I wish [insert attractive female celebrity here] would rape me’,
- Pantomiming rape. For some reason, the guys at my school think it is the absolute height of humor to sneak up on each other and simulate humping one another while yelling ‘rape!’. PRO TIP: It isn’t funny at all and it makes you look like a complete and total asshole.
- Calling all physical contact rape. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen (usually, but not always) guys at my school engage in minor physical contact like accidentally bumping someone in the hallway or seen two of them wrestling, and one or both will start laughing and screaming “RAPE! RAPE! HE’S RAPING ME!”
This is obviously a very incomplete list, so please feel free to add your own.
PS- If you do any of this stuff, you are an asshole and you need to stop right now
Remember last year when I pointed out the term “photo rape” as being a problem in that article about what not to do to cosplayers? Yeah.
Sent by crill, I just fixed a couple of typos.
An anti-choice graphic.
You’d think they’d realise that the last block of statistics there means they’re just terrifying women* into silence, not actually stopping abortion.
But no, they just go for more fear-mongering. As if they’re not the ones forcing desperate women to find ways to cover up their perceived “sins”. How many teens have gotten abortions because their “born-again” parents would kick them out if they found out their daughter had sex?
I really think these attitudes cause people to want abortions, and cause people in these communities who have had abortions to feel a guilt that they wouldn’t otherwise have felt.
‘Abortion protects rapists and paedophiles by covering up the evidence of their crime’- right. There’s definitely no other kind of evidence. And it’s ok to make rape victims and children go through with a pregnancy. We shouldn’t be protecting them or anything. (deep breath)
Yeah because you can’t get DNA evidence off of aborted tissue nope not at all.