Posts tagged trans*
Posts tagged trans*
People being angry about ~dem gays~ on Target’s Facebook.
I just want to give my two cents on this and tell you a story.
A couple weeks ago, I was hired at Target. I have a job at Target. Not a big deal right?
It is a big deal because i’m a transman.
It doesn’t take a genius to conclude that it’s hard for me, my brothers, and sisters to get a job. There are legal restraints regarding the job and if you don’t pass, it’s hard to be taken seriously at a job interview.
Right on the application, it asks what your preferred name is. It also asks if there is anything that target should know. I put the fact that I am a transman, expecting not to get a call because usually when you put that down, people will throw out the application. I got TWO interviews.
At the interview, they asked me about it. I told them I am on hormones and they told me that they didn’t care. Not in the sense that they don’t emotionally care, but that it didn’t matter. I was male and that’s all that mattered. They also told me that they give sex same couples benefits in states that do not recognize them as a married couple.
At my job orientation, I was not misgendered once. Even my supervisors who weren’t sure of my gender avoided pronoun use, which I found only happens when you’ve had pronoun training. They gave me a name tag with my preferred name and didn’t ask questions. I felt safe and respected, which is huge for a trans* person.
TLDR: Target is amazing not just for the LGB, but also the T. Shop there for the rest of your life.
Argentina JUST PASSED a groundbreaking gender identity bill!!!
From now on, people will be able to change the name and gender on their ID without needing psychiatric permission or any body modifications. Furthermore, anyone who does want hormones or surgery will be able to access them for free through the public and private health system.
It was passed unanimously today by the Senate
Argentina is just getting more awesome by the year. Countries that aren’t Argentina need to take note.
From “A Series of Questions”, a project where the viewer is confronted with the inappropriate questions often asked of trans people. These new images —plus the ones which were already viewable online— are up at Weingarten’s site.
The last one is so sad. The other ones are hurtful and insensitive and not at all appropriate and I am absolutely not excusing them, but the last one is just so fucking selfish.
only one, but they have to live for a year in the dark to be really, definitely sure it needs changing
ugly laugh crying
The Beautiful Daughter: How My Korean Mother Gave Me the Courage to Transition
Growing up, I remember making a pact with myself. As an adopted child I promised to find my family…
Actual tears. This is beautiful.
Trans* activists in Mexico City, protesting violence against the LGBTQ community.
Aya Kamikawa: Why she kicks ass
- She is the only openly transgender official in Japan at this point, and the first to seek or win elected office in Japan.
- She won a four-year term as an independent under huge media attention, placing sixth of 72 candidates running for 52 seats in the Setagaya ward assembly, the most populous district in Tokyo. In April 2007, she was re-elected to her second term, placing second of 71 candidates running for 52 in the same ward assembly.
- While the government announced that they would continue to consider her male officially, she stated that she would work as a woman.
- She is devoted to work for various groups, the disabled, single-parent families, homeless people to evening junior high school students, LGBT people and to improve rights for women, children, the elderly. She strives to give support for these people and bring positive changes which would help them in society.
- She was also a committee member for Trans-net Japan (a self-support group for transgender people) and organised meetings and social events to give support and symposiums to raise the public awareness.
I have a fierce, mad, passionate love for Ms. Hudson, not just because she is decidedly awesome, but also because once more my show is treading softly where no others dare to go - introducing a wonderful, charming, layered, and… transgender character. And they were doing it in such a fleeting, casual way that you might actually blink and miss it. Because that’s how it should be - normal, casual, just a facet of everyday life. (Is there actually any other scripted drama that has a recurring transgender character?)
Aside from that, Clyde. ♥
And Sherlock tells Joan to come back wearing a blindfold and she wanders off looking intrigued and omg hello kinky muses…
Hunter and Evelyn
Evelyn and Hunter, a 9 months pregnant trans man, came into a photo booth I recently hosted at a play party, right as I was closing up shop. I was tired, but was I going to give up the chance to document these two out in public mere days before parenthood? Never.